Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Busy Chrome day...

I did a bunch of fairly interesting things with my corporate hat on today (not to be confused with any of my personal research ;-)

Firstly, Chrome 10 went out with a record $16k+ series of rewards. It's continually humbling to see such a wide range of researchers and a wide range of bug categories!

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2011/03/chrome-stable-release.html

Also, there are some nice new security pieces in Chrome 10. I blogged about some of these:

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/03/mini-newsletter-from-your-google-chrome.html

My personal favourite is "plug-in blocking enhancements", probably because I implemented it and am therefore biased :-) In reality, the change that's going to really help end user security is "out-of-date plug-in warnings". Users are encouraged to update to the latest security patches for their plug-ins. I personally believe this will be particularly helpful for Java, which is widely installed but users are not always the most uptodate.

And then I spoke at SANS AppSec with Adam Mein about Google's two vulnerability reward programs (Chromium and Web). This seemed to be very well received, as evidenced by the stack of insightful questions. We released a few new stats and charts, so it's probably worth me linking to the slides:

https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0Ae_usSLlqH60ZGZnYjI0NTVfMjBobngybWRoaA&hl=en

All in all a fun day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Actually, I am a huge fan of the plugin blocking too :) That change will definitely help many users!

Congrats on the Chrome 10 launch!